History, Curiosities, & Rural Stories
The 77-mile Iowa Valley Scenic Byway takes you through rural agricultural land and a rich cultural patchwork. This audio tour is a way to help you discover and connect with 40 special places, some that can be hard to find and others that have limited or no online presence, but all of which tell an authentic, place-based story of the Iowa River Valley.
Audio Tour Brochure
Download the brochure to have handy on your phone or print and take with you as you explore the Iowa Valley Scenic Byway.
How it works:
Each of the 40 stops has the black Audio Tour sign posted (pictured above).
To hear the audio recording for each stop, dial 319-213-9003 and follow the prompts. (Message and data rates may apply.)
You can call and listen to the recordings from anywhere at any time, but visiting these places in person is the best experience. Be sure to check with individual sites or area partners for hours of operation and possible admission fees
Explore the 40 Stops:
4. Amana Furniture and Clock Shop
5. Amana Heritage Museum & Communal Schoolhouse
6. World’s First Microwave (Amana Radarange)
12. Engineer Clifford Berry and the ABC Computer & Abolitionist John Brown
15. Iowa County Pioneer Heritage Museum
16. Iowa Valley Canning Company
17. Opera Singer Clarence Whitehill
18. Nancy Drew Author Mildred Wirt Benson Childhood Home
19. Victor Rolle Bolle Court & Mural
31. Haven Schoolhouse, Richland No. 5
32. Lincoln Highway Bridge & Marker
33. Tama Co Historical Society
34. Wieting Theatre & Opera House
35. Riparian Diorama at Otter Creek Nature Center
36. Bohemian Village & Historic Town Jail
37. Dysart Historical Center & Historical Museums
38. Traer Salt & Pepper Shaker Gallery
40. Meskwaki Hotel Lobby Museum Exhibit
There’s also a Meskwaki Cultural Center & Museum Building located further into the settlement at 303 Meskwaki Road, Tama, Iowa.
Thanks to our Audio Tour Partners:
The Iowa Valley Scenic Byway Audio Tour is a collaborative project between Amana Heritage Museum, Belle Plaine Community Development Corporation, Iowa County Historical Society, Tama County Tourism, and Iowa Valley RC&D.
Amana Heritage Museum
705 44th Ave, Amana, IA 52203
Belle Plaine Community Development
826 Main St, Belle Plaine, IA 52208
Iowa County Historical Society
675 E South St, Marengo, IA 52301
Tama County Economic Development
211 West State St, Toledo, IA 52342
This project paid for, in part, by the Iowa Tourism Office, with additional financial support from Belle Plaine Community Development, Benton County Community Foundation, Tama County Community Foundation, Tama County Tourism, and Bankhaus, A Division of Fairfax State Savings Bank.
Tour Launched in 2018. Narrated by Joe Mills. Powered by OnCell.