The Clean Start program is a free, five month coaching program intended to help beginning farmers understand and implement food safety best practices on their own farm. Program coaches will work one-on-one with participants each month, culminating in the creation of a personalized Food Safety Plan. Please view the Clean Start Food Safety Program Syllabus for further details.
- Knowledge/comfort with Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) regulations and USDA Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) certification
- Assessment of your farm’s operation as it relates to food safety best practices
- Creation of a Food Safety Plan and traceability system for your farm
Program participation includes:
- $2000 stipend to purchase and implement food safety equipment and/or supplies for your farm
- Microsoft Surface Go tablet pre-installed w/ Microsoft Office and FarmTabs (Iowa Valley RC&D’s food safety software)
- Label printer